What is the title of the video?Ans: The Power of One.What is the purpose of the title?Ans: To tell us the theme of the story. And is the initial hook.What font style and size is used?Ans: Bold, impact-like font with size of approximately 70.What is the effect of these?Ans: To give the image of a very impactful and powerful story.The names of the main actors are given.Comment on the placement of the names and the type of font used?Ans: Names are equally spaced apart in neat font with small font size, to give the image of professionalism with the names.What is the purpose of giving the names of the actors?Ans: To attract popularity and attention to the movie as people who recognise the actors are likely to be more interested in the movie.The film's classification (rating and genre) is also on the video cover.What is the purpose of this?Ans: To give interested parties more info and snippets of the storyline in hopes of getting them hooked and interested in the movie, compelling them to watch it.Look at the images on the cover.What is in the foreground? Why have they been placed in this position?Ans: Torn pictures of characters in the story. To show conflict between various parties in the story and portray messy situations.What is in the background?Ans: A small boy with a suitcase in the middle of torn images.What does it show and represent?Ans: The main character of the story having difficulties in his life, trying to escape his troubles.What is the dominant colour?Ans: Sunset colours.What kind of lighting and shading has been used?Ans: Dawn lighting.What is the effect of these? What mood or atmosphere is created?Ans: It signifies the dawn of a new beginning, a change, or something different.Language Device: Succinct LangaugeExample: Essentially the entire passage is succinct, especially the second paragraph.Definition: Characterized by clear, precise expression in few words; concise.Language Device: Emotive LangaugeExample: Terrorized, kindly, leads with his heartDefinition: Language that derives emotions from the reader.Language Device: Strong VerbsExample: Takes, leads.Definition: Verbs that do not form the past tense by adding -ed to the stem.Language Device: Descriptive WordsExample: Compelling, Hard-hitting.Definition: Phrases and words that modify the verbs and nouns.Language Device: Name-droppingExample: A kindly, world-wise prisoner (Freeman)Definition: To mention casually the names of illustrious or famous people in order to imply that one is on familiar terms with them, intended as a means of self-promotion.Language Device: QuotationsExample: "Little beat big when little smart"Definition: Quotes are things that people have said.Tan Xue Wen, Rayner (20) S4-02
1. The Power of One.2. To give us a short synopsis of the movie as well as attract people.3. Large, bold font in capital letters.4. It is to emphasize and to attract their intended audience.5. They are well-spaced and are in a clear font.6. People who believe that the actors are great at acting would have a higher chance of being attracted to this movie.7. It is so as to attract more people through recommendations from other organisations and to give an idea what to expect for this movie.8. Pictures of scenes in the movie pasted crudely together, featuring the characters in the movie. It is so as to introduce some of the scenes that happens in the movie and give the audience freedom of imagination.9. A person pulling along a suitcase towards the empty space between the cracks of the foreground.10. It shows that he is about to walk down a road of conflict, emptiness and loneliness.11. Orange-yellow.12. Dim lighting with light shading.13. It gives off a dark mood as if there was war and blood in the movie.14. Example: The synopsis.Definition: Briefly and clearly expressed.15. Example: Fight with his fists, leads with his heartDefinition: Language that has the ability to be able to arouse intense feeling.16. Example: Compelling, ExplosiveDefinition: Verbs that give off a strong nuance.17. Example: Terrorized, Hard-hitting.Definition: Words that are able to give an account of what is happening.18. Example: A kindly, world-wise prisoner (Freeman)Definition: The practice of casually mentioning the names of famous people one knows or claims to know in order to impress others.19. Example: "Little beat big when little smart", "First with the head, then with the heart"Definition: Phrases that leaves a significant impression on the audience, which were once said by a person.
Goh Jun Hong (14)
1. The title of the video is "The Power of One". The purpose of the title is to inform the viewers about the title and gist of the video, as the movie shows how one person can actually make a difference. The font used is relatively large compared to other texts found on the visual text. Also, the fonts are coloured red, perhaps in an attempt to highlight it. It directs the viewers to the theme of the video. 2. The names of the main actors are given in an effort to attract the fans of these actors to watch the movie, as they would get to watch their favourite movie stars. 3. It allows the viewers of this visual text to better determine the theme of the story, and also to read others' reviews about the movie. Hence it's purpose is to encourage viewers to watch the movie, by giving information about the movie. 4. In the foreground, there is a boy, with his back turned. He has a suitcase, with a shadow casted behind him. It suggests that this boy, possibly the main character, has left home to seek refuge somewhere. Above him, in the background, there are snippets of the movie frozen in photographs. It shows that the boy may encounter these events later on in his life. In addition, it is situated in such a way that the boy looks small as compared to these photographs, meaning they are big challenges that tower over him as he tries to overcome them. This further enhances the significance of the movie title, "The Power of One", as the little boy tries to overcome these challenges all by himself. 5. Succinct Language: By summarising the movie into a 2 paragraphs, the blurb uses succinct language, such as giving a brief background about how the main character would become famous yet not stating the significant events that happened along the way. By using succinct language, it gives the viewers of the visual text information about the movie, but not enough to completely predict the story so that interested viewers would purchase it. Emotive Language: The blurb uses words like 'compelling', and phrases such as, 'fights with his fists and leads with his heart', as well as 'and finds that one person can really make a difference'. Its intention is to pique the viewer's curiosity as to how this movie can be emotionally packed and it serves to persuade the viewer to purchase the movie. Strong Verbs: By using verbs with impact, like 'fights with his fists and leads with his heart', the blurb intends to create an action packed atmosphere of the storyline. Its aim is to attract viewers who are inclined to watching action-packed movies while also learning a moral. Descriptive Words: The blurb uses the sentence, 'An orphan terrorised for his family's political beliefs, young PK turns to his only friend: a kindly, world-wise prisoner who teaches him how to box'. This sentence uses descriptive words to tell the brief of the story more vividly, about the personalities of the characters and the background of the main character. Its intention is to add colourful images of the story brief in an attempt to persuade more viewers of the visual text to purchase the movie. Name-Dropping: By leaving the names of the actors behind the character's one, the movie tries to attract viewers who are fans of these movie stars to purchase the movie. For instance, Morgan Freeman will be playing the prisoner who teaches the main character how to box, and it entices fans of Morgan Freeman to watch and purchase the movie, simply because he is playing a character in the movie. This is also part of snob appeal, by using famous actors' names to promote the movie. Quotations: The blurb uses quotations from the movie, like 'Little beat big when little smart,' and 'First with the head, then with the heart'. These quotations serve to tell the more important things said in the movie, things that will impact the main character and drive the story on.
1) The title of the video is "The Power of One". The purpose of the title is to inform the viewers what they are watching and what to expect from this video. Font style and size are relatively attractive and huge to highlight the title as it is usually the first thing the viewer will see when reading a DVD sleeve.2) The names of the main actors are placed right below the main picture of the DVD sleeve. This is to attract fans of certain actors as some may be renowned for their world class acting skills.3) The film's classification is to inform the viewers whether they are of appropriate age to view such content and what they can expect from the genres depicted.4) The background depicts a scene of a sunset. The foreground has scenes with the main actors in it. The dominant colour is orange-yellowish and with dim lighting. This enhances the title 'The Power of One' as it signifies the dawn of the new beginning.~Jia Le
1. The title is "The Power of One". It is to tell the viewers the name of the show, the fonts style is bigger than most words, and is in red, which makes the title stand out and easier for viewers to identify.2. The names are very easy to read, and are placed at the first few lines of the blurb.It is to attract people who recognise the names of the actors to watch the film.3. It is to give viewers a sense of how good the film is and what type of film it is.4. A boy with a suitcase is in the foreground, and is placed in the center. The boys may possibly be the main character of the movie. The background are torn pictures of people. They represent the crisis and hardships faced in the movie.The dominant colour is dull orange, and the lighting is bad. These give the effect that it is very gloomy and everyone is very stressed. THe atmosphere becomes very tense.5. The blurb is succinct. The whole passage is very concise.6. "Fights with his fist and leads with his heart" and "First with the head, then with the heart". Emotive language are phrases or word that will make the viewers emotional and touched.7. Strong verbs are verbs that past tense can form without the use of the ending "-ed" The examples are, beat, leads, grows, finds.8. The descriptive words are explosive, compelling, hard-hitting. Descriptive works are words that make the text more 'colourful' and vivid.9. Name-dropping is using someone's name who is famous in the text, which attracts viewers and also informs viewers of Morgan Freeman's role in the show. The example can be found in the phrase" a kindly, world-wise prisoner(Freeman)"10. Quotations are phrases from the blurb that are taken from the movie. Some examples are "Little beat big when little smart", and "First with the head, then with the heart".
What is the title of the video?Ans: The Power of OneWhat is the purpose of the title?Ans: To attract the attention and interest of the audience and also to give them a general idea of the movie content.What font style and size is used?Ans: A bolded, large font.What is the effect of these?Ans: It would be able to attract the attention of the audience through impact.The names of the main actors are given.Comment on the placement of the names and the type of font used?Ans: The names are capitalised and equally spaced-apart from each other.What is the purpose of giving the names of the actors?Ans: To recognise the team behind the movie production. The naming of iconic actors or producers would also increase the probability of an audience to buy the product.The film's classification (rating and genre) is also on the video cover.What is the purpose of this?Ans: To indicate the age-restriction of the movie so as to help parents better select the suitable movie for their children. The genre was written to let the audience better understand the content of the movie, so as to better find a movie that is in line with their interests.Look at the images on the cover.What is in the foreground? Why have they been placed in this position?Ans: The foreground depicts a boy walking away with a suit case suggesting that he is going on an adventure. The placement of the boy in the foreground suggests that he is the main character; that is not a too far-fetched inference.What is in the background?Ans: Torn images of various movie scenes which depicts the events the movie would flow through. What does it show and represent?Ans: It shows the challenges the characters in the movie would go through and encounter. It represents the big idea of the movie and serves as a teaser.What is the dominant colour?Ans: Dark Beige.What kind of lighting and shading has been used?Ans: Warm and dim lighting with dark shades.What is the effect of these? What mood or atmosphere is created?Ans: It signifies that the movie is heated and intense. It creates a vehement mood and a feeling that the movie is full of action.Language Device: Succinct LangaugeExample: For example, it was written in the sub-heading "an exhilarating epic of triumph of the heart". This was written in concise and straight-to-the-point words.Language Device: Emotive LangaugeFor example, 'Terrorized'. Such emotive language are words that would create a strong emotional response from the audienceLanguage Device: Strong VerbsFor example, 'leads' These strong verbs would cause an impact on the reader and give the feeling that the movie content is intense.Language Device: Descriptive WordsExample: 'Exhilarating' Words that enhance and better describe the meaning of verbs or nouns.Language Device: Name-droppingFor example, Morgan Freeman (deep impact) this is to mention casually the names of famous movies to impress the audience.Language Device: QuotationsFor example, "A winner!" This is a quote of an external party that describes his/her feelings towards the film.
1. The title of the video is "Power of One". The purpose of the title is to inform the viewers of the name of the video. The tile is in bold and is enlarged, this gives a strong image which catches the attention of the viewer and it makes sure the viewer knows the title of the movie. 2. The names of the main actors are isolated from text and this makes it outstanding, also this tells the viewers who are the actors in the movie and this would attract their fans to watch the movie. 3. This tells the viewers the theme of the movie and shows how good the movie is and would attract people to watch the movie. 4. The foreground shows a boy with a language in his hands and shows a look of loneliness, it is in the middle of the cover page and thus would be the main topic of the movie. The background shows scenes that would take place in the movie. The dominant colour would be tan yellow/brown. This gives the DVD sleeve a rustic look which makes the mood rather country-like. Succinct language: "The synopsis" [A brief and clear expression]Emotive language: "Fight with fists, leads with his heart" [arousing intense feeling]Strong verbs: "hard-hitting" [Verbs that leave a strong impression]Descriptive words: "exhilarating" [words used to describe]Name-dropping: "world-wise prisoner(freeman) [casually mentioning names of famous people]Quotations: "A winner!" [group of words take from a text/speech]
1. What is the title of the video?The title of the video is "The Power of One". The purpose of this title is to provide viewers with a first impressions of the video, and to give a short four word summary as to what the video may be about. The font style is bold and red, and the size of the font approximately 60. The effect of this layout is to give the video an impact and to portray a strong conquest in the storyline of the video. 2. The names of the main actors are given.The names of the actors are placed below the cover image of the video, and the font used seems rather common, but it somehow compliments the font of the title. The font size is also smaller than the title, but visible to see the names. The purpose of giving the names of the actor is to give these people recognition for acting in this movie and also to tell viewers who are the main actors/actress in this movie.3. The film's classification(rating and genre) is also on the video cover.The purpose is to show the "qualifications' of the video and to show viewers how "good" this video is. It also is a lure for viewers, as when they see the ratings and the genre, if it were to their liking, that would be keen to watch this video. 4. Look at the images on the cover.The foreground shows a boy holding a suitcase walking towards the background. The background shows the critical scenes in the movie and also the main actors of this movie. It may represent that this boy will be taking an adventure, into this video, and this may also reflect the title of the video, "The Power of One" as there is only one boy walking towards the background. The dominant color of the images are black, with white surrounding the images. A shadow effect has been used, and a sort of reflection on the white background. It creates a solemn atmosphere, and a rather tense feeling, for the viewers to be looking forward to something unknown.Succinct Language: An example would be that of the two sentence description beside the title. It is defined as something written or spoken briefly expressed. Emotive Language: An example would be the same two sentences beside the title. Words like "exhilarating" and 'triumph" are used. The definition of emotive words are words that invoke intense feeling and arose certain emotions in people.Strong Verbs: An example would be the description on the back cover, words like "terrorized' and fights with his fist". It is defined as a very impactful verb that would arouse strong feelings.Descriptive Words: Words such as "compelling" and "hard hitting" at the back cover. It is defined as words that describe the main story.Name dropping: Examples are at the back; Morgan Freeman(Deep Impact), John Gielgud(Arthur), Stephen Dorff (Blade). This is used as the main actors names are put behind the character they are playing and gives the viewers the names of the people acting in the production. Quotations: An example would be "little beat big when little smart" and "first with the bread, then with the heart". It is defined as quotes used in the productions of this movie. Statements made my important and influential people.Jake Wee(16) S4-02
1. Title of the video is 'The Power of One'. The purpose of the title is to inform in a very subtle way what the story of the video is about. The font size and style is in block letters and coloured bright red in a large font so it captures attention easily. The effects of this is that it grabs the reader's attention and makes them want to find out about what the movie is about.2. The names are placed on the front in view below the main picture. The font used is in block letters and looks formal. The purpose of stating the name of the actors is so the viewers would first know who is acting in the movie and fans of said actors would want to watch it knowing that their favourite actor is in the movie and would want to know more about it.3. This is to let viewers know what genre it is so people who prefer that genre would want to know more. The rating, on the other hand, lets people know which group is able to watch it and which group should not to prevent the movie from possibly affecting anyone else (especially younger audiences).4. The foreground is where there is a boy standing with his back to the viewers, a suitcase beside him. It was placed as such probably to show that the boy would then have to face or go through the future experiences (as shown in the background) and meet those people who would either help or destroy him along his journey. It shows that the boy would have to stand up for himself and represents 'the power of one' as said in the title, as the boy probably has to hold his own against everyone else. The dominant colour seems to be black, and hard light is used to outline the faces of the people in the background, especially on one side of their face. This creates a very sombre atmosphere.Succinct language: It is sentences which are brief and clear about their main objective. The blurb used is in itself an example of such language.Emotive language: It uses emotional words to tug at the viewers and get them to watch the video by showing that it is full of emotion as well and is not just about violence. Examples such as 'compelling', 'fight with the heart', 'leads with his heart' all show that the movie could also potentially be very emotional.Strong verbs: It showcases the fact that the movie is about violence and is mostly action-packed. Words such as 'hard-hitting', 'terrorized', 'fights with his fists', show that the movie is full of energy and action.Descriptive words highlight important parts of the story and throw in a little bit more detail so the audience can get a rough idea of what the movie is all about. The sentence 'An orphan terrorized for his family's political beliefs, young PK turns to his only friend: a kindly, world-wise prisoner who teaches him how to box.' is an example of showing a small part of what had happened.Name-dropping, such as enclosing the name of the actors beside their character's name tells the audience which character the actor is acting as, so if they were fans of that actor they would know which character to look out for.Quotations such as stated in the blurb: 'Little beat big when little smart' gives the audience more insight into the story and they take the choice lines from the movie to get the audience interested.
1. The Power of One. The title gives an idea of the plot of the story. This would make the audience interested to know more about the movie and thus moving on to watch it.2. The names of the main characters are placed at the front cover, right below the images. The purpose is to attract people to watch the movie due to the popularity of the actors.3. The purpose is to show the audience how good the movie is. This would make them interested to watch the movie.4. The images on the cover depict the different scenes of the movie. They have been placed at their respective positions based on the nature of the images. For example, the action scene of the movie is placed in the foreground to show that the movie has action in it. The dominant colour of the cover page is red as it is striking to the eyes. In addition, the background colour is white. This gives an effect of simplicity.Succinct language: Language that is concise. The blurb only consists of two paragraphs, making it easier for the audience to pick out the important points of the movie. This would make the audience know more about the plot, and thus be interested in watching the movie. Emotive language: Language that makes use of words to express emotions. An example would be "a compelling, hard-hitting movie". This would trigger the emotions of the audience. Strong verbs: Powerful words that can make an impact on the audience. An example would be "fights with his fist and leads with his heart as he grows to manhood". These words are able to entice the audience due to its impactful nature.Descriptive words: Words that depict a scene. "Takes on the system and the injustices he sees around him". This phrase depict a certain scene in the movie. This gives an idea of the plot to the audience. Name-dropping: Placing names of famous people on the cover would entice the audience into watching the movie. This is because people often have the perception that good movies are the result of good actors. As such, with good actors such as "Morgan Freeman" on the cover page, the audience would want to watch the movie, having the mindset that it is a good movie. Quotations: Quotes form critiques to make an impression about the movie. The quotation on the DVD cover is "A winner!". This gives an impression to the audience that the movie is worth watching.
Wong Jing Yi (08) 1. The purpose of the title is to show the main idea of the movie, as it is about the touching story of one person making a change. The font size is larger that the other words on the DVD sleeve. It catches others' attention and if they find the title interesting, they will take a closer look at the DVD. 2. The font size of the main actors names are relatively smaller than the title font, but large enough to be seen at one glance. This will interest people in the DVD as they probably have seen these actors in other good movies and will want to watch this movie. 3. It is to inform the customers what age group this video is catering to and it provides a good gauge on whether this video will interest the particular customer. It also lets parents know if their kids can watch that video. 4. In the foreground, there is a small boy carrying a suitcase. In the background, there are many snapshots of some parts of the movie. This shows more of the main idea of the movie and what it is about. It shows that the boy has passed through numerous challenges and emerged from them by himself. Thus showing the power of one.
1. The title of the video is ‘The Power of One’.
The purpose of the title is to let the viewers have a vague sense of what the video is about, and also to attract viewers to watch the video.
The font is in bold and in capital letters.
The effect of this is to emphasise the title.2. The names of the main actors are Stephen Dorff, John Gielgud, and Morgan Freeman.
The names of the actors are placed in the middle, above the title of the video, and they are in capital letters. This will bring more of the viewers’ attention to the actors in the video.
The purpose of placing the names of the actors is not only to give them credit for being the main actors, but also to give the movie itself credibility. If the actors have acted in other films prior to this one and are famous, viewers would recognize them and would be interested in watching the video.3. This is so that viewers would have a general sense on the theme of the movie and also whether it is appropriate for their viewing.4. The foreground shows the title of the video, the names of the actors, as well as a blurb on the video. They are placed in this position as they are most likely to get the attention of the readers because it is placed in the front.
The background shows images from certain scenes in the video.
The dominant colour of this visual text is red.
The lighting is used is dim and there is plenty of shading, to give the video a more rugged and dark look.
It creates a serious atmosphere.5. Succinct language: The blurb uses succinct language to tell viewers briefly about the movie. E.g. An orphan terrorized for his family’s political beliefs, young PK turns to his only friend: a kindly, world-wise prisoner who teaches him how to box.
Emotive language: “An exhilarating epic of a triumph of the heart.
Strong verbs: Describes actions e.g. fights with his fists and leads with his heart.
Descriptive words: a compelling, and hard-hitting movie
Name-dropping: Morgan Freeman (Deep Impact), John Gielgud (Arthur), and Stephen Dorff (Blade) star in The Power of One..
Quotations: “Little beat big when little smart”, “First with the head, then with the heart”
1. What is the title of the video? Ans: The Power of One.What is the purpose of the title?Ans: The purpose of the title is to attract people's attention so that they would watch the video.What font style and size is used?Ans: A bolded and large font is used. What is the effect of these?Ans: It gives people the perception that the video is an impacting one. 2. The names of the main actors are given.Comment on the placement of the names and the type of font used?Ans: It is placed on top of the title and a non-bolded font is used because although it is important to attract the attention of viewers, it is not the main thing that is used to attract their attention.What is the purpose of giving the names of the actors?Ans: It would attract the fans of the the actors to watch the video.3. The film's classification (rating and genre) is also on the video cover.What is the purpose of this?Since the rating is good, it would give people the perception that this movie is worth watching.4. Look at the images on the cover.What is in the foreground? Why have they been placed in this position? Ans: There is a small boy in the foreground. He has been placed in this position because it would be the first image a person would see when he/she picks up this DVD cover.What is in the background?Ans: Many pictures of various scenes in the movie.What does it show and represent?Ans: It represent's the events that would be faced by the boy.What is the dominant colour?Ans: Dark redWhat kind of lighting and shading has been used? Ans: Dim lighting has been used.What is the effect of these? What mood or atmosphere is created?Ans: An intense atmosphere is created.Language Device: Succinct languageExample: The whole DVD cover uses a succinct language Definition: Brief and clear language Language Device: Emotive LanguageExample: An exhilarating epic of a triumph of the heartDefinition: Language which evokes intense feelingsLanguage Device: Strong verbsExample: leadsDefinition: Words which do not form a past tense by adding -ed to the root wordLanguage Device: Descriptive wordsExample: compellingDefinition: words which modify or describe a nounLanguage Device: Name-droppingExample: world-wise prisoner (Freeman)Definition: mentioning the names of famous people to impress othersLanguage Device: QuotationsExample: "Little beat big when little smart"Definition: words taken from someone else
1.) Title of the video is “The Power of One”. Font style is large and red, so as to catch the reader’s attention.2.) Large, thin letters below the summary. It would attract people if there are good and well known actors.3.) It is to show to its audience that the video is good and to attract people to watch it.4.) In the foreground, there is the title in large bold font. In the background, there is a picture of a person and the person is about to walk a road that seems long and never ending. Above the person are picture that are haphazardly placed together to show scenes in the movie. This shows and represents the kind of show it is. The dominant colour is red and yellow. The shading and lighting is slightly sepia and there is a slight darker shade to it. It gives the mood of foreboding and sadness.5.) Succinct language: The entire movie is summarised into the summary of 1 paragraph. This allows the readers to know the kind of video it is.Emotive language: "exhilarating". It brings emotions to the reader and make them want to watchStrong verbs: "hard hitting". This impacts the reader and makes the reader want to watch the video.Descriptive words: “Takes on the system and the injustices he sees around him". This helps readers to know the type of show it is.Name-dropping: “Morgan Freeman (Deep Impact)”. Well known actors and director names are given so as to entice people to watch the video.Quotations: Little beat big when little smart,' This quote tries to help readers relate to the video.
1. The Power Of One. To attract people to watch the movie. A strong-looking font style and the keywords are larger than articles. To raise interest within the audience and attract their attention by giving the image that the movie is powerful and has a large impact.2. The names are placed at the beginning of the blurb to introduce the main actors of the movie. They are in a normal looking font to convey a sense of professionalism. To attract people to watch the movie because a particular actor is acting in it.3. To inform potential buyers of the type of movie it is and whether its content suitable for them to buy.4. A boy rolling a luggage. To show that the boy is the main character. Other prominent characters in the movie encased in a frame with torn edges. It shows that these actors are portraying important characters in the movie and it represents the messy and rough-and-tumble situation the movie is based upon. The dominant colour of the front cover is red and the back cover orange. Dark lighting and heavy shading. To create a heavy and dark atmosphere to set the mood for the movie, and to give the impression of a new start or change.5. Succinct language: Example: The second paragraph of the blurb.Definition: Briefly and clearly expressed.Emotive language:Example: Terrorized, 'only friend'.Definition: Words that carry an emotional value.Strong verbs:Example: Take on.Definition: Words that carry a powerful impact.Descriptive words:Example: Compelling, kindly.Definition: Adjectives that give an image of the movie.Name-dropping:Example: Morgan Freeman.Definition: the practice of casually mentioning the names of famous people in order to impress others.Quotation:Example: 'Fight with his fists, leads with his heart'.Definition: A group of words taken from a text or speech and repeated by someone other than the original author or speaker.
1. The title of the video is "THE POWER OF ONE". Its purpose is to give the reader a glimpse of what the film is about by relating to the graphics and the subhead which gives more information of the film. The font used is large red capital letters in an unusual style with a subtle oriental influence. The effect is that the reader is introduced into the environment of the film.2. There are 3 main actors, the names of which are arranged in a row. The font used is black serif capitals. The purpose is to promote them as famous actors and attract the readers who are fans of them.3. The purpose is to inform the reader of the age group this film is targeted towards as well as the genre group.4. A single boy carrying language with his back facing the reader lies in the foreground, to show the reader this is the main character of the film. Many torn photos pieced together make up the background. This shows and represents the life story of the main character.The dominant colour is white. A long shadows lies behind the main characters. The torn photos are shadowed.The effect is a simplistic display of the main character's life, creating a calm though intriguing mood.Q5.Succinct Language - Ex. "He takes on the system and the injustices he sees around him - and finds that one person really can make a difference." This is quite a plain statement as the 'system', 'injustices' and 'difference' are not elaborated with detail. Succinct language presents the information in a most concise manner.Emotive Language: Ex. "He takes on the system and the injustices he sees around him - and finds that one person really can make a difference." This has an impact on the reader as he does not fully understand the situation the main character is in, but knows that the character has done something significant to improve it, arousing feelings of happiness for the character. Emotive language brings about feelings in the reader whether it be happiness, sadness, anger, etc.Strong verbs: Ex. "terrorized". Strong verbs express big important actions taken.Descriptive words: Ex. "... as explosive as today's headlines." Descriptive words allow the reader refer to things in real life while imagining the story.Name-dropping: Ex. "Morgan Freeman (Deep Impact), John Gielgud (Arthur) and Stephen Dorff (Blade) star in The Power of One, a compelling, hard-hitting movie from hitmaker John C. Avildsen." Name-dropping is the 'practice of mentioning important people or institutions within a conversation, story, song, online identity, or other communication.'Quotations: Ex. "fights with his fist and leads with his heart" from "first with the head, then with the heart". A quotation is the partial or complete usage of a statement made by someone else (especially famous people).
1) The title of the video is "The Power of One". The purpose of the title is to set the theme of the movie to the reader and to act as a hook to draw the reader's attention. The font size of the title is large and the font style is bold and a bright red so that it is outstanding and easy for readers to see at a distance and to get their attention.2) The names of the actors are close to the title so that reader will be drawn to them after reading the title. The font used looks professional to reflect the professionalism of the actors. The names of the actors are given as readers might know the actors from previous movies. This will attract people to watch the movie as they might be interested in the actor.3) The purpose is to inform the audience on the nature of content in the movie so they can decide if they should watch it or avoid it due to content that might be unsuitable for them.4) A small boy with luggage can be seen in the foreground of the cover and it implies that the boy is lost and is finding his way through life, alone. In the background, there are images of the boy in the future, together with pictures of events in his life and the people he meets. Since the photographs are separated and torn, it could signify that the boy's life is torn apart and he must make choices in his life that may not go over well with others. The dominant colours on the cover is yellow, orange and red while the shade and lighting seems to show a sunrise. These colours, shades and lighting would imply a new beginning giving a sense of hope for a better tomorrow.5) Succinct language definition: Briefly and clearly expressed.Examples include the second paragraph of the blurb where the gist of the movie is given within about eight lines of text.6) Emotive language definition: Language that gets the reader to feel strong feelings about the movie.Examples: Compelling, hard hitting.7) Strong verbs definition: Verbs in which a vowel inside the verb is changed to indicate different tenses are considered strong verbs.Examples: Takes, leads.8) Descriptive words definition: Phrases or words which modify verbs or nouns to make them clearer.Examples: Hard-hitting9) Name-dropping definition: The use of famous actors' names to attract the audience's attention.Examples: A kindly, world-wise prisoner (Freeman)10) Quotations definition: Sentences or phrases that people have said.Examples: "Little beat big when little smart"Lucas Chia
1) Power of One- The purpose of this title is to influence the audience to watch this movie and be interested to find out what this "Power" is within this "One" person.- The font style used is Capitalization, whereby the "P" of POWER and the "O" of ONE is emphasized and bigger than the other letters.- The effect is that the audience would be focus their attention on these 2 words and be clear about what they are about to watch.2) The placement of the names are directly below the scenes' images which portrays the different Star actors and these names are all having the same the font type, which is of a clear size, for the audience to see. The purpose of showing these names would be attract the attention and capture the interest of the audience as they might be thrilled to watch these movies upon seeing their favourite Star actors' names.3) The rating of this movie is allow the audience to know that this movie is of a high standard with the Rating of "4 STARS" rated by probably someone who is of high recognition in the Film Rating Industry. By doing so, the audience would be further interested to watch this film. As for the genre, it is to attract those who are highly interested in this genre of movies and would be appealed to purchase this movie.4) In the foreground, it shows a boy, carrying a suitcase, and walking "into" the "hole" between the cracks of all the images and scenes of movie. These scenes may be what this boy, who is leaving, may encounter as the movie proceeds on into the later parts of the movie. The positioning of these is to show how this boy has to encounter so many different problems, obstacles and challenges is the future of his life, by the difference in sizes between the scenes' images as compared to the little boy.The background portrays the different scenes of the movies as the big obstacles and challenges covering over him and he had to find a way out of these problems.The dominant colour use was Orange, with light shades of Yellow.The lighting used was a Dim Lighting and a Sunrise Lighting, with light shading among the different images.This type of lighting would appear like a Rise or a New Beginning for this main character who would encounter a new kind of lifestyle and new types of challenges. This would set the audiences' mood as very solemn and dark, especially with many new kinds of challenges met along the way.
Language Device: Succinct LanguageDefinition: It is a language device used in something written or spoken, whereby it is used to briefly and clearly express or describe something.Example: The entire blurb is very concise and clear as it briefly describe the entire movie without letting the audience/reader know too much about the actual events in the movie so that they would be interested to purchase it.Language Device: Emotive LanguageDefinition: Phrases or words used to arouse an intense feeling and emotion within the audienceExample: "Fight with fists, leads with his heart" and "An exhilarating epic of triumph of the heart". Such emotive language used are meant to captivate the audiences' hearts and let them get the intense feeling and be highly interested into the movie, especially when they actually feel for the main actor and actually pity and empathize with him.Language Device: Strong VerbsDefinition: Verbs that are filled with impact and influence on the audience.Example: "compelling" "hard hitting" "Terrorized" These verbs describes the intensity and energy filled in this action-packed movies and it may attract the attention of the audience, who are interested in such movies.Language Device: Descriptive WordsDefinition: Words that describe the movie briefly (eg. part of a scene in the movie) and keep the audiences guessing about what is coming up next.Example: "Takes on the system and the injustices he sees around him", "Finds that one person really can make a difference" Such descriptive words would interests the audiences and keep them wondering what events the main character might face as the movie goes on, in which he finally understands that one person can really make a difference.Language Device: Name-droppingDefinition: It is the injection of the famous people' names into the visual text to entice the audience who are intending to watch this movie.Example: "Morgan Freeman (Deep Impact), John Gielgud (Arthur) and "Stephen Dorff (Blade) star in The Power of One…from hitmaker John G. Avildsen.", "world-wise prisoner (Freeman)… Living by those words, PK (Dorff)…" Such dropping of names would attract the attention of the audiences, especially those who judge a movie based on the types of actors in the movie. As such, with these great actors in this movie, the audience would be highly interested to watch the movie, since they have the perception that it would be a good movie, with such good actors.Language Device: QuotationsDefinition: a group of words taken from a text or speech and repeated by someone other than the original author or speakerExample: "A Winner!" This quotation make a good first impression of the movie on the audiences, especially if it was from a critique who analyses and scrutinizes the movie after watching the entire movie. This would appeal to the audience that it is a movie worth their money.
This comment has been removed by the author.
1) What is the purpose of the video?The title of the video is The Power of One. The purpose of the video is to inform the viewers about the gist of the movie and also to tell the viewers what the movie is about. From the title, it is possible that the movie is about how one overcomes the challenges in life. The title is bold, in red and capitalised. The size of the title is approximately about 60 to 70. These effects are used to attract the readers’ attention and to give a succinct image of the movie. The colour ‘red’ is also used as it is brightly-coloured and eye-catching to the viewers.2) The names of the main actors are inserted below the graphics on the cover page. The names are capitalised and they are in italics. They are inserted on the cover page to attract those fans to watch the movie as to support their favourite actors. They are also inserted on the cover page to acknowledge the actors who have worked very hard to make the movie an award-winning movie.3) The purpose of having the film’s classification on the video cover is to convince the viewers that the movie is successful and has won a prestigious award. This will attract the viewers to watch the movie as it is worth watching an award-winning movie directed by a respectable director.The foreground of the cover depicts an image of a boy with his back turned and carrying a bag. The image is placed in this position to potray the gist of the movie. The background of the cover page are several snapshots of the movie. These snapshots describe the plot of the story and gives ‘spoilers’.5) Succinct language Definition: Language that are clearly expressed and described.Examples: The second paragraph of the blurb as it tells us only the gist of the movie and attracts people to watch the movieEmotive languageDefinition: Words that potray an emotional viewExamples: compelling, hard-hittingStrong verbsDefinition: Words that carry an powerful impactExamples: TerrorisedDescriptive wordsDefinition: Words that describes a particular person or object brieflyExamples: Takes on the system and the injustices he sees around him Name-droppingDefinition: The practice of mentioning important peoples in this case the main actorsExamples: Morgan FreemanQuotationsDefinition: A formal statement made from other peopleExample: “A winner!”, “Little beat big when little smart"